R-CALF USA, the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America, represents thousands of U.S. cattle and sheep producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle and U.S. sheep industries. R-CALF USA’s membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members are located in 47 states, and the organization has many local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA.
Since its inception, R-CALF USA has profoundly impacted the U.S. live cattle industry.
- R-CALF USA led the cattle industry to victory by working to pass mandatory country-of-origin labeling that reserves the USA label for only cattle born, raised, and slaughtered in the U.S.A
- R-CALF USA is leading the cattle industry’s effort to clarify and enforce the Packers & Stockyards Act by banning packer ownership of livestock, requiring all forward contracts to include a firm base price, and by protecting the cash market from further “thinning.”
- R-CALF USA was instrumental in proving that the economic models used by USDA and the International Trade Commission were outdated and incapable of accurately predicting the effects of market concentration, forward contracts, and marketing agreements on the price of cattle. R-CALF USA is presently working with Congress to have these economic models updated.
- R-CALF USA is working hard to achieve meaningful trade safeguards for U.S. cattle producers in the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) agreement to ensure fairness for U.S. cattle producers.
- R-CALF USA successfully included live cattle under the definition of a perishable and cyclical agricultural product during Congress’s debate of Trade Promotion Authority. This designation affords live cattle additional safeguards should rising imports threaten to collapse domestic prices.
R-CALF USA: Fighting for the U.S. Independent Cattle Producer
The Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA) represents the U.S. cattle and sheep industries in trade and marketing issues to ensure the continued profitability and viability of independent U.S. cattle and sheep producers.